About Green Building
Green building is a design process that grows out of a connection to the natural landscape. It is a set of informed decisions that considers the site and materials in order to reduce cost, maintenance, and usage of the home.
Conservation is central to the green building approach. Green buildings are healthier, safer, more comfortable and cost less to operate. They connect people to the land and their communities.
For example, in Maui, where we have an abundance of sunlight solar systems become the most natural selection.
Whether the goal is green building certification (or not) MHI incorporates environmentally sound practices with every project.
Green Building Services
- Measure job site construction & demolition waste. Achieve high waste diversion rates.
- Donate unused materials.
- Protect native soil & waterways.
- Define construction and to minimize disruption of existing plants and trees.
- Implement construction site erosion and storm water control practices.
Indoor Air Quality Management
- Establish effective protection of mechanical equipment and duct filtration.
- Establish indoor air quality standards during construction. Minimize air-borne pollutants. Avoid toxic or off-gassing construction materials.
- Maximize use of no-or-low VOC (volatile organic compounds) materials and products.
- Minimize moisture and protect on site stored materials and installed materials from moisture.
- Provide a building flush-out prior to completion.
Design & Documentation Support
In addition, we can assist architects and clients in their green/sustainable building design efforts in the following ways:
- Research and verify green materials and products.
- Assemble and maintain records necessary to document a buildings compliance with LEED requirements.
- Execute new construction methods per specifications, at a reasonable cost.
- Achieve high wast diversion rates.
- Share knowledge of the numerous materials that are rapidly renewable, contain recycled content, and emit low-level or no VOC's.
- Recommend high-efficiency equipment and lighting to meet or exceed requirements.
- Oversee materials management.
- Oversee activities management.
- Oversee documentation of VOC products.